Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Keepin-It-Real Envy

To: Lady of Leisure
From: Golden Handcuffed
Subject: Lucky Homeless

I just walked by a homeless couple and caught myself envying the simplicity of their lives. I'm not kidding. I started thinking "Aw, that's cute. I wonder if they're all giddy with each other, excited to spend the night in the subway together, recounting the adventures of the day, trading stories from the past..."


To: Golden Handcuffed
From: Lady of Leisure
Subject: RE: Lucky Homeless

Whether or not I think it's cute depends on how they met. If they were already homeless, kept running into each other at the same street corners/dumpsters/shelters, discovered they have a lot in common, and got together, then I think that's cute. If they were a regular couple who lost everything, and then went homeless, then I think that's kinda sad. Though cute that they stayed together, I guess.

Yeah, maybe I'm jealous, too.


To: Lady of Leisure
From: Golden Handcuffed
Subject: RE: Lucky Homeless

Yes, I considered that scenario as well. I think we can agree, however, that both scenarios are probably more sad than cute, seeing as how, ultimately, the couple is homeless in both. Then again, maybe I’m just the ignorant, unhappy capitalist/materialist, and they’re laughing all the way to the next garbage can.


To: Golden Handcuffed
From: Lady of Leisure
Subject: RE: Lucky Homeless

I'm continually amazed at your inability to lose your job. You're usually so ahead on the trends.


Unemployed? Watching your co-workers get picked off one-by-one? Finding yourself roped into your deadbeat friends' increasingly desperate and manic shenanigans? Pass your story or links along to workingforthegovernment@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment